It’s that time again….yep, that’s right…bulk trash week. I’m a rubber-necker, and a “don’t think I won’t do a u-turn in the middle of a residential street” kinda girl. I dropped Lillie off at school this morning and noticed several neighbors had large trash piles out on the curb. Well, to the average person, it’s trash; to me it’s “Oh my goodness, what were they thinking?!?!”
I made my way down the first street of my neighborhood and saw the coolest ladies arm chair. The fabric looked great, so there must be something seriously wrong with it. Being the
nosey trash digger inspectigator* that I am, I had to see for myself. I turned my car around (in an alley this time), and pulled up beside my possible patient. The chair was setting on top of tree limbs, plastic landscape pots and a rotten water hose. I set it flat on the sidewalk and it was sturdy–no broken bones, legs, or back. The only visible damage was where someone’s puppy chewed up the corners of the skirt. Pssssh, like that’s enough to dissuade me!
Hmm, will it fit in my trunk? Of course not, , there’s always too much
crap awesome stuff in there. I managed to lay it on its back, and close the trunk down below the seat base. It was steady enough for the short (2 two streets over) drive home.
I pull into the alley, pass my driveway and get ready to back in. Macy, 4, who was doing a ride along, says, “Umm, you just passed our house.” “Yeah, I know. I do that on occasion.” After unloading, I immediately vacuumed it with the shop vac. It’s in great condition, except for the skirt. Then I realize, said puppy also used the skirt for target practice. Fortunately, the dog must have been vertically challenged, as the skirt was all it was able to hit.
I thought about taking the front skirt off (where the damage was) and exchanging it with the skirt on the back. I lifted up the flap, and there was plenty of fabric tucked under the sides, so I wouldn’t even have to do that. Given the fact that the chair’s skirt has been used as a fire hydrant, I decided to nix it altogether. I found a pair of pliers and a screwdriver and began to operate. I carefully worked the staples out. Much to my surprise, the rest of it is in great shape. And I loved the new “cleaner” lines. I used the upholstery attachments on my carpet cleaner and gave it a once over and left it out in the sun to dry. I think this one has made a full recovery!
Oh, and just in case you think I’m making up words, spell check didn’t flag inspectigator.* Rubber-necker, however, was a different story.